Thursday, June 11, 2009

A is for...

Okay, kids. Here's the deal. I am now 32 days post college graduation and it is fair to say that I have accomplished very little in that time besides honing my minesweeper skills at work, drinking too much wine(not all at once, but just in general) and planning vacations that I can't afford. Contrary to what the previous sentence implies, I actually do have life aspirations. One of said aspirations is to go to grad school for some kind of fancy degree involving creative nonfiction. But here's the second deal (slightly more important than the first): I am not one of those writers who loves to go sit under trees and scrawl out pages upon pages of heartfelt ramblings for hours on end. I like assignments. And deadlines. And dark chocolate bars (which is completely unrelated, but still). So I decided that I would create this blog as a reminder that I do need to be writing every day and in the hope that one of these entries will somehow end up being a totally brilliant piece of nonfiction that will wow grad school admissions committees throughout the lower 48.

But wait, there's more

On top of simply creating a blog, I decided that I needed some kind of structure for my writing so it didn't end up being 47 posts about my boy problems and what I had for dinner last night. So, I totally pilfered an idea from a book that I received for Christmas last year, called Encylopedia of an Ordinary Life http://http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Ordinary-Life-Krouse-Rosenthal/dp/1400080452 This book is totally amazing, and if you haven't read it yet, you should. The basic jist is that this woman just writes about things going on around her. Silly things, sad things, upsurd things, you name it. So I am going to do the same. I'm going to start with A and see how long it takes me to get to Z. Here goes nothing...

Enjoy.

1 comment: